[LINK] Google's WiFi bungle

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 20 07:19:32 AEST 2010

Kim,

WiFi is covered by both acts and regulations - IANAL but I'm thinking of
the Radiocommunications Act, plus ACMA regulations specific to WiFi.
That is, the act gives ACMA the power to regulate the use of the devices.

In my use of "authorised" and "unauthorised", I was thinking more in
terms of computer crime - ie, unauthorised access to a computer network.
Various state crimes acts and a commonwealth act cover this. Here, I'm
simply saying that authorisation refers to the intent of the network
owner; a network owner's stupidity may mitigate the act of accessing a
network, but doesn't excuse it.

The broadcasting act isn't relevant to WiFi, but that's the point I was
pursuing. WiFi is not "legally" a broadcast, regardless of its technical
behaviour. To treat a WiFi transmission as if it were legally a
broadcast - ie, anyone is allowed to receive anything and do what they
will with it - is to get the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers,
RC