[LINK] Senate committee probes AGD's data retention activities

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Nov 1 22:00:15 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Nov/01, at 9:33 PM, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> Stilgherrian wrote:

>>> I think only a few countries do this.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention#European_Union
>
> Good read. My Summary pertaining to some of the points raised this evening
> in the Australian context. Hey, shouldn't the AGD be doing this?
>

> The EU data retention directive is implemented piecemeal by each nation
> state. And mostly not at all.

> de: ** the law was rescinded ** in 2010 due to privacy violations

Law was declared unconstitutional in court, therefore unimplimented, not rescinded.

> dk: internet (TCP/IP) sending IP,port,protocol and receiving IP,port are retained
>     (dunno how they determine the protocol sans deep packet inspection!)

transmission protocol is part of the IP header and indicates if the packet is ICMP, TCP, UDP, and a number of others.  There is no deep inspection of packets in my reading of that.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant