[LINK] Naked ADSL and dumping the voiceline

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Nov 2 06:53:34 AEDT 2010

I've helped my son make the transition: it's relatively easy. I'm on the cusp of doing it myself now that number porting has come into effect.

> -   what number(s) can you get for people to call you on?

Number porting allows you to bring your phone number with you when you move to VoIP - not all ISPs support this. Last time I looked, a new number was to be chosen if you wanted the service, but I now see that number porting is finally here.

Here's a place where you can check if your number is indeed 'portable':

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/Residential/Home-Phone/Keep-your-Number-1512/portability-checker

(the list of numbers that can be ported is growing)

> -   what number(s) are displayable when you call someone?

Whatever number is assigned to your VoIP line. The number is referred to as your 'in-dial' number.

> -   can you keep any of the numbers associated with lines you dump?

See above. Fax numbers are generally not supported, however. You *Can* send faxes, but only by some convoluted activity and little or no tech support.

> And, switching from the personal to the policy level:
> -   what constraints on number-choice are inherent in technology?
> -   what constraints on number-choice are reasonable transitional
>     arrangements from POTS to whatever-we-call-the-next-future?
> -   what should we be saying to ACMA's review?

Cannot answer any of these questions at this time. Sorry. I'm not sure where number porting policy is written, and what constraints govern what numbers can be ported.

>> * what device can I then connect to the naked line to give my current
>>   (simple residential) telephone equipment full POTS connectivity?
>>
>> * there obviously must be some POTS gateway/interface in the mix?

A VoIP adapter (aka 'ATA device' - or analog telephone adapter) is needed to use standard phone(s) on the line (no software needed), or you use software on your PC (soft phone). Using an ATA device allows you to make/receive calls on your phone handset without a computer being on (or present). The call quality is appreciably better, too.

If you go down the path of an 'IP phone', as an alternative, the quality is not as good overall, and the cost is generally more than buying an ATA device (but if you have no analog phones in the house, it might be cheaper).

Some firewalls (used in NAT implementation, mostly) cause outbound calls to drop after 10 or so minutes, but a reconfiguration can usually fix it. We had to turn off VoIP application level gateway settings.

Oh, and you can buy an integrated all-in-one device (ADSL modem/router/VoIP combo).

>> * does the switch to naked ADSL affect my internet data connection,
>>   modem or PC in any way?

No. The modem needs to be reconfigured for the Naked ADSL connection, but other than that, it's as before. Some ISPs recommend certain modems that support VoIP, but there are plenty of existing modems that work right now - and often the modem that you have already.

>> * do I pay anything for the naked line?

Yes. Generally about $5-$10 a month. But this is less than the rental you pay for a Telstra line. Some ISPs waive the cost if you are on a contract.

>> * who maintains the naked line?

This one is confusing. I was told 'whoever runs the DSLAM in the exchange' by one ISP, but then I discovered that my son's line was partially covered by Optus, even though it was purportedly a Telstra DSLAM. In any event, faults are to be reported to the ISP, who then arranges for any required checking and service.

>> * and the big question: would my only ongoing cost for VoiP then
>>   be the bandwidth I use over the ADSL?

No. Call rates apply to most calls. Check with the ISP of your choice. Here's a site that I used to check out options, but I'm not sure how current the data is:

http://www.internetchoice.com.au/voip/

(it was broken a few months ago)

Cheers

Ivan
--
Ivan Trundle
http://itrundle.com ivan at itrundle.com
ph: +61 (0)418 244 259 fx: +61 (0)2 6286 8742 skype: callto://ivanovitchk