[LINK] NBN expectations

Birch, Jim Jim.Birch at dhhs.tas.gov.au
Thu Nov 4 11:41:57 AEDT 2010

On 3/11/2010 1:42 PM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> If people are expecting everything to work 10 to 100 times faster on
the
> internet once they get the NBN, they are in for a bit of a surprise.

If the NBN doesn't result in a raft of new high speed services we might
as well call the whole thing off.

Of course, it will.

There seems to me to be an open wider question about the changing nature
of connection speeds.  The Internet has been characterised
(more-or-less) by high speed servers/trunks and low speed client links
but this will change with fibre everywhere to a point where servers and
clients are much closer to parity, eg, where a relatively small bunch of
users can saturate a server or an intercontinental link (subject to
contention management, of course.)  This means that sources need only
more grunt but also to get closer to clients.  IANA comms economist but
differential data charges for domestic and international traffic seems
certain to me.  This actually happens now in the form of selected
unmetered local sources, eg, ABC's iView is unmetered, except on
Telstra.  Depending on how this pans out, it might even be a good idea
for the government to bump this process with a carrot and stick approach
to force high volume services on shore, eg Microsoft updates, YouTube
(?).  This would look after users, save the country some money, and make
better use of international links.

A squid-like protocol that supports source server authorised access to
network cached data - including "streams" - seems to be needed too, as a
way of supporting the smaller fish.  (Does anything like that exist?)

Either that, or torrent everything :)

- Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission. If the transmission contains advice, the advice is based on instructions in relation to, and is provided to the addressee in connection with, the matter mentioned above. Responsibility is not accepted for reliance upon it by any other person or for any other purpose.