[LINK] More google maps weirdness - Spain and Morocco

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Nov 13 09:36:24 AEDT 2010

[what I find interesting is that the terms put in the search engine
results in different 'facts']

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/conflict-reaches-boiling-point-as-google-errs-again-20101112-17pyc.html
Google Spain spokeswoman Marisa Toro said the search engine learnt in
July that its mapping service erroneously assigned the islet to Morocco.

Google's geopolitical team at its headquarters in Mountain View,
California, consulted international bodies including the United
Nations, and recently decided to declare the islet a disputed
territory that belongs to neither Spain nor Morocco, she said.
Engineers have been working to make the correction, she said.

But since Monday, Google Maps has been attributing the islet to
Spain, or to neither country, depending on the wording that is typed
into the search engine.

Toro said she could not pinpoint the cause.

"It is our mistake and we are working to resolve it," she said.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com