[LINK] contactless credit cards

Ash Nallawalla ash at melbpc.org.au
Wed Nov 17 22:57:33 AEDT 2010

> From: Kim Holburn
> On 2010/Nov/09, at 3:51 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>
> > McDonalds contactless card rollout to lower skimming risk
> >
> > By Liz Tay on Nov 9, 2010 http://www.itnews.com.au/News

> > McDonald's Australia will switch on contactless credit card technology
> > this month that enables it to charge cards from up to five centimetres
> > away.

> > When switched on at the end of this month, it will enable customers to
> > charge up to $100 to Visa payWave or MasterCard PayPass cards without
> > swiping, signatures or PINs.

I think the distance can be adjusted. I sometimes pay for lunch with my Visa
PayWave card at the ANZ HQ in Docklands, which has the Visa PayWave
terminals. It requires the card to be held for about 2 seconds and about 1
cm away before it registers.

I was in the US last week, where some cabs had a MC PayPass terminal and a
touch-screen display to choose the percentage of tip to leave. My ANZ Visa
PayWave card seemed to generate a beep of recognition but the transaction
always failed. I had to swipe it on the same terminal.

Ash