[LINK] The market for wireless [WAS: Work on Next Generation Wireless in Canberra]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Nov 28 10:10:32 AEDT 2010

On 27/11/2010 12:15 PM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> ... Some versions of WiMax will not work when the units are moving at
> more than 100 kph. ...
Wasn't the first published WiMax standard designed for fixed point
applications?

> almost all the customers will be using a wireless link to connect their
> devices in the home, ...
Is that true? Of the people I know, fewer than 15% have home wireless
networks. I tried WiFi a couple of times, but found it too flakey to be
worth the bother.

> The NBN Co. Business Case Summary does not address the issue of mobile
> access, apart from one reference to "smartphones" in Chart 4.

As a long-time PDA user, I find smartphones interesting, but far too
expensive. I have a mobile phone - it's the contact number preferred by
tradesmen - but rarely make outgoing calls on it.

Is it wise to conflate fixed and mobile? To me, the fixed infrastructure
is fundamental; mobile is a handy accessory.

I've been considering buying a slate, so the Telstra T-Touch Tab
<http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/Consumer/NGTSOProductDetailsView?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&productId=96704&langId=-1&categoryId=16105&parent_category_rn=16105&top_category=&ti=TR:TR:Oct10:mid:INTmobilebroadband:642x277>
drew my attention. At a minimum of $15 per gigabyte, I'll be giving it a
miss. There's presumably a market at those prices, but I'm not in it.

I guess I'm peculiar. Perhaps you are too Tom, just at the other end of
the spectrum. ;)

--
David Boxall                    |  My figures are just as good
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  I make them up myself, and they