[LINK] RFI: Intrusive Internet Mechanisms

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Nov 29 12:31:44 AEDT 2010

Roger Clarke wrote:

> I'm trying to write a succinct summary of the way in which intrusive
> Internet mechanisms were once the province of 'miscreants and
> criminals', but are now in mainstream use by corporations.

One that comes to mind was discussed on Link years back.
Sony was adding a trojan to some music CDs that installed
spyware on a customer's PC when the disc was played.

Definitely expand upon developments in Firefox w.r.t. permanent
cookies and the difficulty of de-cookifying (?) your web
browser. All of this intrusive stuff is enabled by default,
and we know what that implies. Hardly anyone will/can turn it off.

BTW: I wouldn't compare the power of ActiveX (which after all can
execute anything it wants to) to AJAX, which is just JS and can
only do what JS can do. ActiveX is restricted to Windows boxes
and does not affect other OSs.

cheers
rickw