[LINK] Study casts doubt on claims for broadband

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Nov 30 11:16:21 AEDT 2010

At 09:36 AM 30/11/2010, George Bray you wrote:
>http://broadband.unimelb.edu.au/main.php?id=159
>
>However, I'm not sure that you can say if you're within 60 km of a
>town you'll be on fibre.
>
>I don't know much about PON, but presumably it's easy/cheap to go
>further with active amps of some kind. Does anyone know if the NBN's
>LR-PON model has been implemented anywhere else?

This is probably the difference between technical capability and
implementation decision. Because I live 60km from a hub, does it make
sense if I'm the ONLY person at the end? One of the advantages (I
think?) of the urban install is that we share the glass along the
street. We don't each get a strand, do we?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/