[LINK] Do-Not-Track

Steven Clark steven.clark at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 30 23:15:14 AEDT 2010

On 30/11/10 22:16, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Perhaps a *good* reason to use Mozilla in future. Even though, allegedly,
> Mozilla are not immune to ad-industry pressure. Do-Not-Track? Yes please.
> I have *never* visited a porn etc site, ever, but, tracking's just wrong.
>
> --
> Firefox-maker Mozilla mulls do-not-track tool
>
> Julia Angwin and Spencer Ante From: The Wall Street Journal, Nov 30, 2010
> <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/news/firefox-maker-mozilla-
> mulls-do-not-track-tool/story-e6frg90x-1225963351252>
>

> THE makers of the popular Firefox web browser are exploring ways to
> create a do-not-track mechanism.

I use the Ghostery plugin for Firefox to disable (all/selected)
trackers. It's amazing how many trackers some pages/sites have embedded
in their pages ... many have more than two - quite a few as many as ten! O.o

I do beta testing of Firefox and Thunderbird. It's not at all unusual
for features to come and go through the development cycle. Often when a
great feature is dropped from the release cycle, someone recreates in
via a plugin.

--
Steven R Clark, BSc(Hons) LLB/LP(Hons) /Flinders/, MACS, Barrister &
Solicitor

PhD Scholar
School of Commerce, Division of Business
City West Campus, University of South Australia (UniSA)
<http://people.unisa.edu.au/Steven.Clark>

Deputy Director, Community Engagement Board (CEB)
Chair, Economic, Legal and Social Issues Committee (ELSIC)
Australian Computer Society (ACS)
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=acscas
<http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=acscas>

*Disclaimer:* This is email is not legal advice. Comments and statements
above are based on my understanding of the issues at hand, and my
attempts to understand them. They are intended to add to, and elicit
discussion. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions and statements
are mine, not those of UniSA or the ACS.