[LINK] Canberra 2030 Planning Could Make Better Use of Technology

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Oct 17 12:08:20 AEDT 2010

On Saturday I attended a two and half hour Canberra 2030 planning
workshop <http://canberra2030.org.au/news/events/article/?id=37>.

There were about sixty members of the public and ten ACT Government and
consultant company staff present. This appears a genuine attempt by the ACT
Government to get input from the community, however the process could
have been more efficient and inclusive by better use of technology.

The Process

Handed out where "The Cities We Need" (Jane-Frances Kelly, June 2010)
<http://www.grattan.edu.au/pub_page/report_the_cities_we_need.html> ,
"Canberra 2030: Outcomes report, Round One Workshops" (September 2010)
<http://www.canberra2030.org.au/files/view/?id=123>.

The facilitator from Elton Consulting <http://www.elton.com.au/>,
started by saying this was a smaller workshop than "Round one". Some
issues identified were: Transport, Education and Jobs. Also a 1,000
household telephone survey was conducted.

Some issues with the first discussion were: Regionalism, Density,
Employment and Transport. A web site recommended to me by one of the
participants is <http://www.humantransit.org/>.

Population

My suggestion, which I did not get the opportunity to express, is that the density of Canberra can be increased, so as to improve
the economic and environmental sustainability of the city. One model for this would be the City West development between
Civic and ANU <http://blog.tomw.net.au/2007/04/canberra-rebuilt.html>.

Canberra could easily support 1 million people, about three times the current population
density, less than of Melbourne and about the same as the ideal size suggested for the city of Xiamen:
<http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content%7Econtent=a924634077%7Edb=all%7Ejumptype=rss>.

Transport

My table noted that Canberra was pre-planned with reserved transport
corridors between the town centres and so the addition of some form of
rapid public transport would be relatively simple and inexpensive
compared to the construction of more roads.

The discussion got sidetracked (pun intended) onto options of buses
versus light rail. Canberra's last budget had funding for the current
bus fleet to be upgraded with an electronic passenger information
system. Canberra was also to get a smart card ticket system this year. But the ACT Government needs to demonstrate it can implement these relatively simple reforms before proposing grand transport schemes.

Land Planning

The second detailed discussion over transport and housing became side
tracked over a discussion of planning for the new proposed Canberra
urban settlement of "Kowen" and proposed industrial development "Eastern
Broadacre planning project" to the east of the current city (as shown on
"Territory Plan Map ACT Urban Areas and Kowen" map, October 2010)
<http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/significant_projects/planning_studies/eastern_broadacre_planning_project>.

The Kowen and Broadacre plans caused some concerns from those at the
table who had heard of it as it indicated two planning consultation
processes taking place in parallel. The facilitators explained that
these processes were at two different levels.

Unfortunately after generally well run small group discussion with
feedback from representatives, the event degenerated into individuals
making set piece speeches. This was a waste of time and illustrated the
problems with this form of public consultation. At such an event only
one person can speak at a time, as a result all those who would like to
be heard cannot.

Next Event

The next event is 28 October 2010 at the Canberra Playhouse at the
Canberra Theatre Centre, 7pm
<http://canberra2030.org.au/news/mediareleases/article/?id=43>.

The final report will be presented to the government by 19 November and
then issued publicly later. I suggest this plan be changed and the
consultant's report be released publicly at the same time it is provided
to government. This will remove the suspicion that government will
attempt to suppress aspects of the report it does not like.

LIMITATIONS OF THE CONSULTATION PROCESS

The facilitator from Elton Consulting mentioned a 1,000 telephone survey
was conducted. This brought out for me some problems with the
methodology used. The telephone survey would exclude a large segment of
Canberra households (including mine) which do not have a fixed line
telephone. Similarly the workshops can only accommodate a very small
subset of Canberra citizens. Canberra 2030 has a web site which attempts
to solicit input, but does so very poorly.

A second major failing with the Canberra 2030 exercise is the lack of
historical perspective. The ACT Government funded a Canberra 2020 study
in 1993, the results of which are not mentioned in the 2030 exercise. I took part in the 202 study: <http://www.tomw.net.au/1993/cnbfut.html>.

The workshop process used was a conventional consultation process and
was competently run. However, this method of collecting public input is
expensive and excludes most of the population of Canberra. These
techniques can now be enhanced with computer mediated communication. It
is possible to collect input from the community and present it at a live
event in a much more efficient and inclusive way than was done for the
Canberra 2030 process.

Canberra is one of the world's leading centres for the development and
use of computer mediated communication in public consultation. It is
unfortunate that the ACT Government has not taken advantage of this
expertise to consult citizens.

More on this at:
<http://blog.tomw.net.au/2010/10/canberra-2030-planning-workshop.html>.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

--
  Tom Worthington FACS HLM