[LINK] Battery back-up mandatory for NBN?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Oct 25 17:38:27 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Oct/25, at 12:35 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> At 12:21 PM 25/10/2010, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net you wrote:
>> I also hadn't realised the pilot does not offer POTS voice, only IP
>> and VoIP, so the POTS port on the NTU is not being used in the pilot.
>
> Here's a question on those issues. If we already use a voip service
> (eg. free skype) does one even need a telco beyond the ISP?

No, and lots of people don't have a fixed line anymore.

> Or are
> they going to try to sell voice only service?

Probably that's all some people will want.

> Why bother with the
> cost of IP so cheap on the new faster service? I guess it may be a
> matter of end user equipment?

On the other hand, at the moment if you want to call a normal monopoly based telephone you have to do it through a company that has negotiated a contract with the monopolists.  ie you have to pay someone.  As more people get onto VOIP this will gradually change I would think.

We are still at the point where normal phone calls have been a huge cash cow for the phone companies for so long that they still want to get their hands on that money.  In terms of a service a VOIP phone on an internet connection is miniscule but the company still will make money selling calls at outrageous prices, also offering some sort of geolocation for emergency services - we haven't got to that yet have we?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant