[LINK] Minister, Turnbull, Windsor...discuss NBN on Insight

Chris Maltby chris at sw.oz.au
Wed Oct 27 10:33:38 AEDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:16:05AM +1100, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Who is wrong? Can the HFC cable and copper, alreay availble
> in most homes, be reconfigured to deliver higher upload and
> download if it is connected to a highspeed fibre backbone at
> the node?

I have no doubt that 100mbs upload is possible, but perhaps not at the
expense of bandwidth needed for pay TV channels. Also, the current HFC
setup shares the download and upload bandwidth Ethernet style between
users on the same cable segment. The HFC nodes already have a fibre
connection - that's what the 'F' stands for, or did I misunderstand the
question about backbone bandwidths?

Chris