[LINK] Minister, Turnbull, Windsor...discuss NBN on Insight

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 27 16:49:33 AEDT 2010

On 27/10/10 3:34 PM, Chris Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:05:28AM +1100, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> What I was talking about is the HFC between the node and the
>> home and whether it really needs to be replaced with fibre.
>> There was a bit of discussion about the fact that Deutche
>> Telecom was upgrading their copper.
> In short, Conroy is right. Whether the cable modems and nodes could be
> reconfigured to allow an uplink speed of 100Mbps and still allow the pay
> TV and video on demand stuff they deliver to be a viable operation is
> unknown to me. I'm sure it is technically feasible to get an uplink
> speed of 100Mbps. It would certainly require the number of customers per
> node to be a lot less than 2000.
>
> If you were going to upgrade the "copper" - or the Cable bit that hangs
> from the poles, why not extend the fibre closer to the customer - either
> to the pole or to the customer's premises.
A little learning is a dangerous thing ... I guess Malcolm's researchers
have found that you can get really high speed DSL, but haven't noticed
that to get it you need (a) to reduce the loop length, and (b) to use
multiple pairs (Google "bonded DSL", "bonded VDSL2" or "gigabit DSL" for
some references).

RC