[LINK] Numbering/identification systems

Max Devlin lucifer.au at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 00:29:20 AEDT 2010

> Looking at the ACMA posting, I get the impression that they are still
> trying to develop a numbering system that is device based, rather than
> person (or role or identity) based.

[I should think before I write so I'll re-write to better explain what I meant]

This is a move away from fixed to portable. The later tends to be associated
more with an individual whether the intent is there or not.

Some businesses use IPND numbers as identifiers i/o their own. Others use it
i/o name and adress. But it can become a defacto identifier over time. Some are
really pushy about it.

This could become an australia card identifier in the US social
security number model. That is used by both government and business
and has become a defacto
citizen dog tag (causes problems ike ID theft.).

Doing that here is problematic because the privacy act forbides business using
governemnt identifiers.

A personal number could be used to get around that. (businesses abuse
IPND to verify ID, often behind the victims back). The numbers Roger
where talking about never took mostly due to cost. Building them into
the system would solve that problem.

There are other obvious grand motives in the release. And it looks
like it is being pushed on the ACMA. But over time this could function
creep into an ID whether the it was the ACMAs position or not.

It also looks like an attempt to grab "control" of VOIP and netphone and fold
them into the gummit numbering system to stop citizens escaping their
rulers clutches. Police were really belly aching about that a few
years ago.

computer: locate jun luc picard
computer: locate dr haneef (AFP were belly aching at the difficulties of
                            identifying his online communications with his
                            relative co-conspiratators).

[add Rogers link]

And that is a very scary problem as far as I am concerned.

>->
]--