[LINK] (Outgoing?) Privacy Commissioner slams data retention

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Oct 29 21:07:03 AEDT 2010

At 20:45 +1100 29/10/10, Kim Holburn wrote:
>Via slashdot:
>http://www.zdnet.com.au/privacy-commissioner-slams-data-retention-339306931.htm

I don't know anything about the accuracy of the ZDNet report except
for the last para.:

>>  Pilgrim's comments are parting shots and the last comments he will
>>make in estimates before his office is moved under the wing of the
>>Australian Information Commissioner. His office will sit alongside
>>the yet to be appointed Freedom of Information Commissioner.

The term 'parting shots' is not appropriate.  (The rest is fine).

Pilgrim was only appointed recently (and I think for a 5-year term).

The *Office* of the Australian Privacy Commissioner (OAPC) is about
to be merged into the new Office of the Australian Information
Commissioner (OAIC), wef Mon 1 Nov.

In addition, the Privacy Commissioner and the brand-spanking-new FOI
Commissioner (announced during the day) become 'junior' colleagues of
the Information Commissioner wef the same day.

But 'junior' is a very rough description.  The Privacy Commissioner
cedes some specific statutory powers to the Information Commissioner,
but by and large the role is unchanged.

On the basis of the ZDNet report, you'll be unsurprised to know that
I *like* what we're told was the general direction, and the force, of
the PC'er's comments about the data retention proposals.

Some specifics don't look appropriate, however:
>>  Pilgrim said the office has ... called for a "privacy assessment"
>>should the proposal become legislation.

A PIA is essential before it even reaches the table of the Parliament!

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916