[LINK] How Green is Your Cloud?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Sep 7 10:33:07 AEST 2010

On Thursday I am talking on "Mobility, Cloud Computing and Green IT: How
Green is Your Cloud?" at the Cloud Computing Conference and Expo in
Sydney. I would welcome comments and correction on my presentation
notes: <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/mobile_cloud_computing/>.

These bits might be of particular interest:

---

How Green is Your Cloud?

* Seven Steps for green data centre (TNEP)
* Current measure: Data centre infrastructure efficiency:

     DCiE = (Main IT equipment energy consumption)/(Total facility
energy consumption)

* Not suitable for Cloud Computing
* Green Grid proposes "Global Harmonization" in 2011.
* Japan proposes Datacenter Performance per Energy (DPPE)

---

Greener Cloud with Data Management and the Web

* Store less data by using more efficient formats
* Use efficient web designs for large data sets

---

ps: Please note I am not a big believer in "Cloud Computing".

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au