[LINK] Ars: 'Musopen raises $40, 000 to set classical music "free"'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Sep 14 20:07:44 AEST 2010

At 16:25 +1000 14/9/10, Kim Holburn wrote:
>I'm not sure.  I looked for CC style attributes on the site, but not
>exhaustively, and didn't find any but it does mention "public domain"
>and it is clear that they understand what the term means.  I believe
>it is possible for a copyright owner to donate works to the "public
>domain".

What I was trying to say (clumsily, sorry) is that:

I don't believe that the law has any concept of 'public domain' for
works that are still within copyright.  You can't 'give it away'.

What the law *can* do is construe from your actions that you've
granted a licence, and from Aaron's actions it would probably
construe a very liberal licence.

There's no need for any formal indication, such as a CC licence mark,
for a licence to be granted, or deemed by the courts to have been
granted.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916