[LINK] Benefits of a digital economy enabled by the National Broadband Network

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Sep 18 17:57:55 AEST 2010

On 2010/Sep/18, at 5:14 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> <snip>
>> One thing that mystifies me is that nobody has tried to quantify the
>> potential value of the NBN to non-Internet wholesale markets, of
>> which
>> there are many. But there's no longer any point trying to inject
>> sanity
>> into the debate: it's so debased by both sides of politics that any
>> statement, even if it's boringly factual, is denounced as being a
>> political marker. It's as if your opinion on the existence of gravity
>> were somehow related to your political alignment.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Another benefit is the opportunity to create a National
> Electricity Distribution Network  in parallel with the
> NBN. A National  Electricity grid, will allow for small
> scale Wind and Solar input to the grid.

I thought we already had that.  We seem to in Canberra.  Lots of
people have solar panels on their roofs and sell power to the grid.

> And a couple of questions about the proposed NBN:
>
> If cables are going to criss cross the country are
> they better above or below ground?

We already have fibre criss-crossing the country-side.  I don't think
the NBN needs to change that much at all.  Most phones right now go
from copper from the house to the exchange, then fibre from the
exchange to wherever.

As I understand it the NBN is mainly about fibre from the exchange to
the house.  The fibre connecting the nodes and exchanges is already in
place.