[LINK] Behavioral Advertising Opt Out

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Sep 26 02:44:56 AEST 2010

Opt Out of Behavioral Advertising

 http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

The NAI Opt-out Tool was developed in conjunction with our members for
the express purpose of allowing consumers to "opt out" of the behavioral
advertising delivered by our member companies.

Using the Tool, you can examine your computer to identify those member
companies that have placed an advertising cookie file on your computer.

To opt out of an NAI member's behavioral advertising program, simply
check the box that corresponds to the company from which you wish to opt
out.

Alternatively, you can check the box labeled "Select All" and each
member's opt-out box will be checked for you.

Next click the "Submit" button. The Tool will automatically replace the
specified advertising cookie(s) and verify your opt-out status.

Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive online
advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will
no longer deliver ads tailored to your Web preferences and usage
patterns.

If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ section.

 http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/faqs.asp

Opting out of an ad network program using the NAI Opt-out Tool should not
affect other services provided by NAI members that rely on cookies, such
as email or photo-hosting.

The NAI has adopted a policy that all NAI member companies set a minimum
lifespan of five years for their opt out cookies.

--

Cheers,
Stephen