[LINK] cyberwar and stuxnet

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sun Sep 26 10:06:12 AEST 2010

I was just reading about the stuxnet virus.  It's interesting for
several reasons.

It was a very professionally built piece of malware.

It had a particular target - Windows systems in Siemen's industrial
control systems. According to some: in particular Iranian nuclear
installations.

It used 4 zero day exploits and that it hid in a signed device
driver.  It used certificates stolen from Realtek and JMicron.  People
have valued the 4 0day exploits at around a million US.

This is being viewed as a cyber attack from an entity with the
resources of a government.

It highlights two things:

1. The badness of having windows systems in industrial control
networks.  Windows was never designed for this.  Apparently people are
moving away from this.  Most industrial control systems only need a
low resource real-time OS, adding all the functions of windows can
make them dangerously unstable.

2. I wonder about the whole "signed" driver thing.  It sounds like
such a good idea until something like this.  How can such certificates
be revoked?  Do systems check a revocation list when installing a
driver?  Do they check afterwards? What would it mean if a computer
discovered its network driver was signed with an invalid certificate?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant