[LINK] Behavioral Advertising Opt Out

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Sep 27 13:10:55 AEST 2010

Fred writes,

> > Opt Out of Behavioral Advertising
> >
> >   http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
>
> This is very interesting. How do they know who I am so that they can
> stop sending me cookies? It can't be my IP address, unless I'm using
> a static address. Could it be a cookie? Oh, the irony. Fred

Yes it is ironic. And just for interest, the above opt-out-url came to
my attention via one link on the Google Behavioral Cookie opt-out page.

 http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

Your interests: You have opted out of Google's interest-based
advertising. No interest categories are associated with your browser.

Opt in: Opt in to customize your ads preferences and tell Google which
interest-based ads you'd prefer to see.

Your cookie: Google stores the following information in a cookie to
associate your ads preferences with the browser you are currently using:

id=OPT_OUT

Google is a participating member of the Network Advertising Initiative.

You can opt out of this cookie as well as other network advertising
cookies from the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page. (above)

Your ads preferences only apply in this browser on this computer. They
are reset if you delete your browser's cookies.

--

Cheers,
Stephen