[LINK] 'Cloud Computing doesn't fly'

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Sep 28 17:31:31 AEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> Yes, It seems to be the IT industry's usual practice. A new concept
> comes along and, hey presto, all the vendors have had it for years.

In a lot of recent cases, it's justified, just not necessarily
because the vendor has had it for years. It may just be reheated
old-stuff. :)

Two important things:

Cloud computing? VMS clusters had transparent clustering inside a company
offered for years. Not at the scale it's seen today but enough for
some rather complicated and efficient use of resources - right up to
running VMS desktops as nodes.

Virtualisation anyone? Come on, my 1980's Operating Systems textbooks
cover hardware and operating system virtualisation.

Don't get me started about databases. Reading the NoSQL stuff makes me
think about handing these guys an ISAM table with some glue code ..
oh wait, they've just done practically that with a thin XML style
access layer on top.

Fun times.

Adrian