[LINK] 'Cloud Computing doesn't fly'

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:04:07 AEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Rachel Polanskis <grove at zeta.org.au> wrote:
> I have had to fight similar FUD at work, where we are being told we are moving to Linux
> because Oracle is not committed to Solaris.  So before the managers jumped down the rabbit
> hole and forced unwanted and unwarranted change on us,  I basically had to beg
> that they just be patient for a bit.  It does not help when apps like Callista are being pushed onto linux over Solaris, because I know the admin overheads are multiples of what we have to do on Solaris.   Likewise we use Sun IDM, which people insisted would die to be replaced by Oracle's IDM, which, (wait for it) is the same product, rebranded.  There is so much FUD surrounding Oracle's acquisition of Sun, it has been disappointing because Sun just makes such great products..... pity about their marketing....
>
> rachel

Don´t get me wrong I was among the first to criticize Oracle when they
did dumb things, for instance killing Sun Download Manager (SDM) a
great example of what Java can do and of Java Web Start (JWS).

http://www.techeye.net/software/oracle-quietly-buries-sun-download-manager

There´s this silly thinking that when one firm buys another the first
thing they must do is stamp out any reference to the old firm´s name
and logo, everywhere. It´s as if the marketing dept needs to say "my
brand is better than yours". Why not keep the old brand? was it so
bad?.

I think Oracle would have done a lot better by just leaving Sun as an
independent subsidiary, and eliminating redundant positions, but
preserving the brand name/logo etc

OK, enough for me, sorry for the drifting and rambling. Don´t want to
hijack this thread.

FC