[LINK] Still FUD

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Apr 1 04:14:04 AEDT 2011

Tom writes,

> Journalists scaring the pants of everyone about the dangers from
> Nuclear fallout, meltdown, radioactive food chain, etc ad nauseum,
> {that which I call unnecessary economic damage, and FUD!!!) ..

The world agrees about coal, and also radiation, being major problems.

But it may be that news media are *underplaying* any radiation issues?

For example, there are an ever increasing number of sources reporting
that 100 mSv is the lowest dose at which a person is at risk for cancer.

However, quote ..

"According to the National Academy of Sciences, there are NO safe doses
of radiation. Decades of research show clearly that any dose of radiation
increases an individual's risk for the development of cancer."

Associate Professor Tilman Ruff of University of Melbourne's Nossal
Institute for Global Health says there may be a threshold for some
effects of radiation, but, not for cancer.

"There is unfortunately a continuing tirade of statements by self-
interested parties and some official agencies implying a threshold for
radiation exposure, below which there are no adverse consequences," says
Ruff.

And Peter Burns, former acting CEO of Australia's nuclear safety agency,
ARPANSA says, "There is no level below which we believe radiation effects
can't occur," says Burns. "There is evidence that supports the adverse
effects of low doses of radiation, including studies showing an increased
risk in foetuses getting cancer later in life from a mother's one-off 10
millisievert medical scan." (End quote)

http://www.abc.net.au/science "No safe threshold for radiation: experts"

And ..

"The committee has focused on evaluating radiation effects in the low-
dose range, with emphasis on the lowest doses when relevant data are
available. At low doses, damage is caused by the passage of single
particles that can produce multiple, locally damaged sites leading to DNA
double-strand breaks (DSBs). These indicators of DSBs show linearity down
to doses of 5 to 10 mGy. In vitro data on the introduction of gene
mutations by low-LET ionizing radiation are consistent with knowledge of
DNA damage response mechanisms and a *nonthreshold low-dose* response for
mutations involved in cancer development."

<http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11340&page=313>

As ANY radiation can cause cancer, isn't it wise to FUD any radiation?
It's not irrational to fear and doubt something if it's clearly poison.
Tom, what's this thing you may have that FUD is NOT logical, or useful?
Without fight or flight human beings would have become extinct long ago.

Cheers,
Stephen

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server