[LINK] Usage Based Billing

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Apr 1 10:32:55 AEDT 2011

Actually Richard, That's not quite correct as the Australian Daddy of
Internet meet-me rooms (Seattle Westin, Portland Meetme, CIX, PAIX,
LINX, STIX, AUIX) I can promise you that US bytes are reached as a
result of peering agreements.

AU content has always been able to peer for free (or at very low transit
rates).
When I need to transit into Canada from Oregon and Lawrence Kansas, I
gave away little stuffed kangaroos inside a can labelled "Peer with Me".

Cost of 400 Kangaroos in Cans including UPS fees to the Montreal NANOG
conference ? $2100.00.
Number of Peering Agreements resulting - 71. (28 Bilateral the rest
MLPA's)

Add a decent routing switch at each peering location and total cost of
Canadian traffic at four different peering locations in the USA ?

ZERO!

Traffic is free, co-location and transit is not.
The trick is to optimise the design of your network and connect like
minded persons.

Of course, if you turn up a ciurcuit to a Tier one Telco as a little
Aussie ISP without any "social networking" [err, that means Sushi and
beer] at the technical level, then you are treated as a customer.

It's amazing what little stuffed kangaroos in a can, can do.

Cost of PPC-1 ? 200+ million. Capacity of PPC-1 1.26 Tbps.

Therefore there is absolutely no excuse for bandwidth caps in Australia
anymore.
Any ISP that says that there is, is lying.

(TPK-3 AS-7141)