[LINK] To moderate or not to moderate - that is the question Re: I am no longer one of Link's Three Amigos

Kim Davies kim at cynosure.com.au
Sat Apr 2 07:06:47 AEDT 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 3:30 AM, Antony Barry wrote:

> On 30/03/2011, at 1:05 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
>
>> I have been reliably informed by two or more independent sources that in
>> the 1990s the entire Australian DNS list closed itself down because of
>> the actions of one member.  A new list was started with the express
>> provision that this person could not be a member.
>>
> I was on that list and on both as I watched the old list die.

This actually points to a subtle distinction. One list wasn't closed with another create to replace it, rather an alternative was created and folks were given the choice. Conversation naturally transferred almost exclusively to the new list within a few weeks.

In fact, Tony, you were proposed to manage the new list. Here was the original announcement: http://dotau.org/archive/1998-06/0547.html

Of course, the list is pretty quiet today, but that is more a reflection that the list's mission was fulfilled and the management of the .AU domain is relatively stable today.

kim