[LINK] NBN retail cost and 12 year technology bell curve

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Apr 9 17:41:15 AEST 2011

On 2011/Apr/09, at 2:31 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Like Tony B, I don't have a flat screen. My decision is purely
> pragmatic: the flat screen is a power glutton.

What?  Per square whatever flat screens use a fraction of the power of CRTs.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5398279_crt-lcd-tv-power-consumption.html

> CRT vs. LCD: Power Consumption
>
> 	• According to an article by Alan Hedge at Cornell University, LCDs use less power and save more energy than comparable CRT displays. When comparing a 15" LCD monitor with a 17" CRT monitor (which has an equal amount of viewing area), the LCD monitor used 55 watts less when operational (25 vs. 80) and 2 watts less when in standby (3 vs. 5). LCD screens also consume less power when returning from standby mode than CRTs.

For the same area an LCD TV uses about a quarter of the power of a CRT.  LED/LCDs use only about 2/3s the power of older LCDs.

On 2011/Apr/09, at 4:23 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Well I'm happy with my 18" LED TV (with built in Digital
> Tuner & PVR) ...but it doesn't rate a mention in this chart -
> which compares energy use of LED, LCD and Plasma TVs
> <http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/>

My LED/LCD would do PVR if I could be bothered to plug in a genuine USB 2 memory stick or HD.  So I don't need a video player either.  That's got to cut down power consumption too.  Although not watching TV also cuts down on power consumption even more, an option I seem to take quite a lot these days.

It's surprising how many USB 2 memory sticks are not fast enough to really be USB 2.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant