[LINK] I am from the Windows Department and we want to solve serious problems with your computer etc

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Apr 15 16:25:50 AEST 2011

Linkers

I seem to be getting these foolish calls a couple of times a month. The callers have always been male, usually with a bad phone line and a strong accent which I assume is Indian but maybe is from elsewhere in South Asia. They address me by name. I've tried to string them along for a while to see what I can find out how they intend to extract money from me but the accent and the poor line makes it difficult.

On this latest occasion I managed to get as far as finding they wanted me to connect to http://www.ammyy.com/en/ which sells remote desktop software for Windows. They said they were going to show me that there was a problem. My assumption was that their plan was to for me to download and install it when they could take over my computer and "prove" that I had problems after which no doubt they would sell me some non-existant service to "fix" the problem. At this stage I gave him a bit of abuse and I told them I used Mac OS. Mostly they hang up when I tell them that.

He started off wanting me to boot up my computer and click the various windows icons like start which I said I couldn't see (of course). He asked what could I see. I said mail (giving them a hint I wasn't on windows), firefox and chrome and at he broke in and wanted me to start chrome and gave me the URL which took a while because his vowel sounds were accented. At that point I decided enough was enough.

I've had great fun by starting off by asking "which computer?" which causes confusion. Also I suggest that if they know my computer has virus problems then must know it's IP number. I had one clown who gave me a number in the 800s. Also requests for my host name fall on deaf ears.

No doubt many of you have experienced this.

I presume this scam must be pretty successful as I keep getting calls.

Tony

Phone: 02 6241 7659, Mobile: 04 3365 2400, Skype: antonybbarry
Email: tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au, antonybbarry at me.com, antonybbarry at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/people/antonybbarry
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au