[LINK] I am from the Windows Department and we want to solve serious problems with your computer etc

John Clarke johnc+link at kirriwa.net
Sat Apr 16 16:25:13 AEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 05:17:20PM +1000, Ivan Trundle wrote:

> Actually, the ACCC is very interested to hear of these scams.

I had three of these calls yesterday, and many more over the past few
months.  All of our numbers are on the do not call register, but these
clowns are probably calling from overseas (India I suspect) and don't
care about that.

I always ask for the name of the company, the caller's name, their phone
number and what they're trying to sell me.  Usually they just hang up,
realising that I'm on to them as soon as I ask.  Occasionally one will
answer, although it's often obviously rubbish - yesterday I got one
claiming to be from a non-existent Australian government department with
a 14 digit phone number without a valid area or country code, and when I
asked her to repeat the number she gave me a different one.

When I do get a number that could be real, I report them to the ACMA.  I
doubt it does any good: there are too many for ACMA to chase and if
they're overseas there's nothing that ACMA can do about them anyway, but
it's worth a try.

Next time I'll report them to both the ACCC and the ACMA.

John

--
> What are the most common human languages on the internet?
Trollish, Flamish, Leet, Rot13, Klingon (ok not really a human
language but most of the writers are), Line noise, ASL and Esperanto.
            -- The Internet Oracle