[LINK] NBN retail cost and 12 year technology bell curve

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sun Apr 17 10:45:26 AEST 2011

Therefore in this instance, what is possibly needed is something like a
redefinition of delivery in multi-tennanted buildings, which could be :

an agreement that FTTH is achieved when:

1.  FTTF (Fibre to the frame) is terminated on an MDF that;
2.  is within 150 metres of Cable run from the consumers existing
twisted pair CPE termination point,
3.  Otherwise FTTF needs to be extended to the IDF.

150 M was selected as being 50% of the maximum ethernet cable length.

Statistically, I believe that would meet the requirements for Fibre
connection. Technically the downside is 70 ms switching induced latency
versus 35 ms with fibre to the CPE.

Of course with this solution, there could be no further splitting (e.g.
at the IDF); each ethernet would need to terminate directly to the CPE.
A circuitous argument that brings us back to:

if you  are having to run Ethernet P to P then you might as well run
fibre.

Then again if the Telstra owned Foxtel Cable wasn't exempt, NBNCo could
turn up 1 million apartment dwellers in about 24 hours... And replace
the coax with Fibre later, at their leisure.