[LINK] US games rating by machine

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Tue Apr 19 18:39:57 AEST 2011

Busy Job of Judging Video-Game Content to Be Ceded to Machines
By SETH SCHIESEL
April 18, 2011

The little E’s, T’s and M’s that appear on the
covers of video games get there the old-fashioned
way: People working for the Entertainment
Software Rating Board look at the games, decide
how gory, sexy or potty-mouthed they are, and
bestow an age-appropriate rating accordingly.

That was then. This is now. Starting on Monday
the ratings board plans to begin introducing
computers to the job of deciding whether a game
is appropriate for Everyone, for Teens or for
Mature gamers (meaning older than 16). To do this
the organization has written a program designed
to replicate the ingrained cultural norms and
predilections of the everyday American consumer,
at least when it comes to what is appropriate for children and what isn’t.

Faced with an explosion in the number of games
being released online, the board plans to
announce on Monday that the main evaluation of
hundreds of games each year will be based not on
direct human judgment but instead on a detailed
digital questionnaire meant to gauge every subtle
nuance of violence, sexuality, profanity, drug
use, gambling and bodily function that could possibly offend anyone.

The questionnaire, to be filled out by a game’s
makers (with penalties for nondisclosure), is
like a psychological inquest into the depths of
all the things our culture considers potentially unwholesome.

Offensive language, for instance, is broken down
into six subcategories: minor profanities,
epithets, scatological vulgarities, racial
obscenities, sexual vulgarisms and a final
category devoted to one particular three-letter
word that refers to both a beast of burden and,
colloquially, to a part of human anatomy.
(Interestingly, the survey does not ask about
religious slurs, perhaps because those are
relatively rare in popular Western culture.)

The sexuality category is fairly straightforward
— basically, if there’s sex, how much of it can
you actually see? — as are the sections on
gambling and drugs. And surely every consumer is grateful that

the portion on bodily functions makes a point to
ask separately about flatulence sounds,
“whimsical depictions of feces,” realistically
depicted feces and the “act of human (or
humanlike character) defecation visually depicted.”

This is the sort of stuff that major
international corporations generally like to know
about before they offer a mass-market media product for sale to the world.

As the Supreme Court prepares to release its
potentially groundbreaking decision on a
California law that intends to regulate the sale
of video games (an announcement is expected any
week now, and potentially as early as Monday), it
may bear remembering that Justice Potter Stewart
found it impossible to reduce obscenity to a
definition, declaring, “I know it when I see it.”

And yet in this digital age it is inevitable
perhaps that a group that is paid to sort
creative entertainment endeavors into neat and
tidy categories based on content would eventually
start outsourcing its mission to computers. After all, major companies,....

More at the website:
http://www.nytimes.com/skimmer/#/Technology//www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/arts/video-games/video-games-rating-board-questionnaire.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer