[LINK] Wi-Fi (or ratification of FTTH)

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Apr 25 13:27:58 AEST 2011

downloading:

>In Germany, the country's top criminal court ruled last year that
>Internet users must secure their wireless connections to prevent
>others from illegally downloading data. The court said Internet users
>could be fined up to $126 if a third party takes advantage of their
>unprotected line, though it stopped short of holding the users
>responsible for illegal content downloaded by the third party.

<SNIP>

This is inline with QLD Police initiative last year with patrols kindly
informing persons that their WiFi routers were open to abuse.
Unfortunately, as is most often the case with technology, law
enforcement and our justice system is somewhat behind the eight ball.

Before parallel legislation is mooted in Australia under the auspices of
an ACTA/COICA/TPP type initiative, our legislators need to know that for
a growing number of technically competent persons, WEP/WPA/2 is not a
barrier.
I could reference at least twenty programs that use brute force password
recovery methods, however, those that understand anything about WiFi
spoofing will understand the method outlined per the comment from
"Stealthc" in the comments section of that article, wherein he explains
that there is no such thing as a secure WiFi hotspot.

Quote/
sorry but it wouldn't take long for me to snarf a password no matter
what protocol is used. I know how to actually make such a device secure
but I won't share it with anybody, I like unsecured networks it spares
me from having to pay for internet access. Anyways, one can pose as the
router using an aircard from ubquity (for example) and maybe load a few
extra goodies into back track 4 (for example) and then wait for the user
to connect and simply get him to volunteer the password. Honestly, we
should just network these multiband wifi routers together and form a
vast network not requiring exorbitant monthly subscription fees like we
have now. Sure there are creepy pedophiles and stuff, but I do my duty
and catch their information and hand them to the cops on a silver
platter and guess what the cops do: Nothing. Anyways it doesn't matter
what level of security you use on a router, use wpa2 for all I care I
will still get your password by pretending to be your router.

The fact that these memes are widely spread on the Internet mean that
policy makers (including their enforcement divisions) can no longer
depend on secured WiFi hotspots as being the determinate of innocence or
guilt.

The growth of WiFi Hotspots globally, would suggest that it might be
pretty hard to close that stable door.
Sometimes, anarchy arrives along with the good stuff (expanded access to
the knowledge base). This I guess is one of those instances.
Damn fine reason for ratifying the NBN as being FTTH. Pretty hard to
spoof a Fibre connection. OK, pretty hard for a fifteen year old kid
without a fibre splicing kit to spoof a fibre connection.

TomK