[LINK] Surprise from Internode - upgrade speed

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Apr 26 18:14:11 AEST 2011

On 2011/Apr/26, at 4:42 PM, rene wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:43:16 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
>
>> I was just looking over internode's new plans and they have moved to
>> a combined upload and download cap.
> [...]
>> Why the move to count uploads now?
>> After all, uploads are already limited by the asymmetry anyway.
>
> Uploads are counted unless any particular customer prefers to pay an extra
> $10 per month above a base plan price for 'Power Pack' extra features,
> which include (among other things), not counting upload data.
>
> Internode first introduced a plan that counted uploads in July 2009.

I must have decided not to upgrade since.

> At the time, Internode said:
> "To allow customers to make a direct comparison of value for money, the
> Internode Easy Broadband plan counts both downloads and uploads in the 30GB
> data quota, in the same way its major rivals do. ..."
> http://www.internode.on.net/news/2009/07/143.php
>
> Similarly Simon Hackett said on Whirlpool:
> "Because its aimed to compare with plans from Telstra and Optus retail, and
> because both of those providers count uploads, the only way we can be
> fairly compared to their plan quotas is if we are comparing apples to
> apples. Their apples include uploads, so Internode Easy Broadband needs to
> do that as well."
> http://whrl.pl/RbWbOL
>
> Since then, (it appears, unless I've missed something) that all new plans
> announced by Internode have also counted uploads in the base price, along
> with Power Pack option being available.
>
> Obviously anyone sufficient 'technically' aware to be worried out whether
> counting uploads may exceed their monthly data limit, can work out for
> themselves whether they'd be better off paying the Power Pack cost, or
> using some other ISP.
>
> I can certainly see Internode's point/reason for having base prices that
> enable easy comparison of apples with apples.

I'm not sure I see that reasoning.  They could just say: we offer the same caps but ours only count downloads.  Easy comparison.  The big telcos spend a lot of time making sure their plans are so labyrinthine, so intricately complex that no-one can make any comparisons, not even between all the plans and bundles one company offers.  Not including internode in that though.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant