[LINK] Latency across Australia & to Europe....

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sat Apr 30 17:04:06 AEST 2011

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Marghanita da Cruz
> <marghanita at ramin.com.au <mailto:marghanita at ramin.com.au>> wrote:
<snip>
>>     Anyone care to comment/speculate on whether thehough the
>>     local poor performance is due to capacity, route (via
>>     singapore/satellite), distance related latency or something
>>     else.
<snip>
> running "traceroute" from both locations to any given host might help
> you spot where the delay is.

Fascinating...this is what traceroute told me:

To ramin.com.au there were 9 hops from my Kogan from both
Perth (Friday morning) and Sydney (Saturday afternoon).

Some of the hops, from Perth, had less latency but were of
the same order, while a couple were of the order of three
times the equivalent hop from Sydney.

Total 3534.39ms (Syd)		4738.39ms (Perth)

To another site, which I would guess would be hosted in
Sydney, and whose performance seemed particularly poor,
there were still 9 hops though the difference in magnitude
was only double for the biggest discrepancies. (seems the
performance problems may have been with the server)

Total 2444.28ms (Syd)		2520.35ms (Perth)

And most amazing of all to a European Site:
21 hops 16263.72ms (from Syd)
11 hops 13582.83ms (from Perth)

Marghanita
--