[LINK] Australia the victim of 'massive' cyber espionage

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Aug 1 10:29:25 AEST 2011

Australia the victim of 'massive' cyber espionage
Dylan Welch
July 31, 2011
http://www.watoday.com.au/technology/security/australia-the-victim-of-massive-cyber-espionage-20110731-1i6hc.html

Canberra is seen as the soft underbelly of the Western intelligence club.

Cyber espionage is being used against Australia on a ''massive scale''
and some foreign spies are using Australian government networks to
penetrate the cyber defences of allies such as the US, ASIO chief David
Irvine has told business leaders.

Mr Irvine's speech is one of the strongest indications yet of the
seriousness with which the government is treating the cyber threat.

''Electronic intelligence gathering is now a huge industry,'' Mr Irvine
said. ''It is being used against Australia on a massive scale to extract
confidential information from governments, the private sector and
ordinary individuals.''

He hinted that Australia is often targeted by foreign spies as an easy
access point into the intelligence holdings of the US and Britain.

Describing the security threat posed by cyber as ''pervasive and
insidious'' he continued: ''Worse, our own territory can be used to
surreptitiously penetrate the cyber defences of our friends and allies.''

Canberra has long been seen as the soft underbelly of the Western
intelligence club - the alliance of Australia, Canada, New Zealand,
Britain and the US - and foreign nations are known to target Australia
in order to steal our allies' intelligence.

With the rise of cyber espionage, foreign states now target Australia's
relatively less protected government systems to access secret material
held by the US and Britain.

The growth of the cyber threat has risen in parallel with global
internet usage, which has soared from about 360 million in 2000 to over
2 billion people last year. Considered to be the greatest content
provision system the world has ever seen, the internet has left
governments and industry struggling to deal with the myriad of security
concerns it has left in its wake.

''From our perspective, I can say that it seems the more rocks we turn
over in cyber space, the more we find,'' Mr Irvine said. ''Internet and
increased connectivity has expanded infinitely the opportunities for the
covert acquisition of information by state-sponsored and non-state
sponsored actors.''

There is a general recognition that the fast pace of online development
means the advantage currently lies with those who seek to intrude upon,
rather than those who try to protect, online systems.

Last week Graham Ingram, the general manager of Australia independent
cyber emergency unit AusCERT, told a security conference that Australia
was as much as five years behind regarding the issue of cyber security.

Earlier this year it was revealed that foreign spies, likely Chinese,
hacked into Parliament House's email system and stole thousands of
messages from at least 10 government ministers including the Prime
Minister and the ministers for foreign affairs and defence.

Mr Irvine's speech, on July 5, came only days before the US Department
of Defence (DoD) released its latest response to the cyber threat, a
strategy designed to protect its 7 million computers and other devices.

In doing so, it revealed that ''some foreign intelligence organisations
have already acquired the capacity to disrupt elements of DoD's
information infrastructure'.

The US has previously revealed that every year an amount of intellectual
property larger than the entire contents of the Library of Congress -
some 22 million books - is stolen from US networks run by businesses,
universities and government.

--

Regards
brd