[LINK] "Line spectrum sharing" ? (Telstra offers separation proposal)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:18:32 AEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 09:03, Paul Brooks <pbrooks at layer10.com.au> wrote:

> Spectrum sharing is simply recognition that the incumbent's DSLAMs
> aren't the only ones capable of driving the high frequencies down the
> copper line.
>
> P.

Thanks for the research. I always thought that unbundling was an
"all-or-nothing" proposition, ie, an unbundled line meant the total loss of
the consumer from the incumbent´s POV.

Maybe this is a way to make unbundling more palatable to the incumbents? (ie
"you won´t lose all business, you probably will keep voice").

Of course, full unbundling is the holy grail for me (I don´t want to have
anything to do with the incumbent, thanks very much) but thinking from the
other side of the counter, I can see that this allows pure ISPs with no
voice service to win customers without the expense of having to also run
their own telephony infrastructure.

Thanks!
FC