[LINK] O/T Politicians [Was: Turnbull's address to the National Press Club]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Mon Aug 8 16:53:20 AEST 2011

On 4/08/2011 4:07 PM, Tom Koltai wrote:
> In other words, Politicians want to get re-elected and are prepared to
> destroy the economy to if it stands in between them and re-election.
>
> On the one hand we have politicians that want to spend money to look
> good to the electorate<Labor>
> On the other hand we have politicians that want to sell assets to look
> good to the electorate.<Liberals>.
>
> Neither side actually cares what their policies actually cost the
> electorate.
>
> The few excellent politicians that exist on both sides are hampered by
> party back-room politics from effecting any meaningful change.

A while back, in discussion of Westminster Democracy, a revealing phrase
from the past came up: "Her Majesty's _loyal_ Opposition". There was a
time when politicians and political parties were loyal to the Crown, the
nation and the people. In Australia, the last politician to be loyal in
that sense was probably Bob Menzies.

These days, few are loyal to anything but their own interests. And yes,
they seem not to care about anything past winning the next election;
even if it means fire & brimstone, death & destruction. So long as they
win. Talk about losing their souls!

OK, maybe a bit harsh. Don Chipp impressed me as not completely up
himself. Malcolm Turnbull maybe? Perhaps Turnbull really should start
his own political party: <http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2738702.html>.

--
David Boxall                    |  Drink no longer water,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  for thy stomach's sake ...