[LINK] Census, Internet and Question 60

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 10 12:32:47 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 8:27 AM, Webb, KerryA wrote:
>> Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> Worked fine on my ASUS Transformer android tablet too ;-)

>>> server
>>> lag, either.
>> Has anybody seen my biro?
>
> For the first time ever, nobody in my area received a census form. We're
> a whole 5 kilometres from the nearest town. In the past, forms have been
> hand-delivered into our mailboxes.

Just caught a piece on the radio about the Census. Apparently the first
Australian Census was in 1828 - something to do with convicts and other
residents.

<snip>

> I'd been reading Sherlock Holmes and it struck me that people managed
> quite well with trains and hired horse-drawn vehicles. They just had to
> work within the limitations of the technologies. That meant organising
> themselves to work around those limitations. These days, that level of
> organisation is evidently beyond us.

I don't think people ever work within the limitations of the current
technology. During the 1890s, they demanded a post office, additional
services, steam trams were replaced with electric ones, omni buses came
along to compete with trams...Then there was the application of reinforced
concrete...more in 1890s Annandale A Short Walk :-)
<http://ramin.com.au/walks/>

Question 60, of the census, is "Does each person in this household agree to
his/her name  and address and other information on this form being kept by
the NAA and  then made publicly available after 99 years?

The guy from ancestry.com was advocating people to answer yes to this. I
haven't yet read through the form - apparently we have till September 5 to
complete the ecensus - but I doubt I will remember what I was doing last
night by then, but I will be dead so, I am more likely to say yes ok to
this question.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz