[LINK] Affordable Internet in Australia for low-income families ? Never happen...

jim birch planetjim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 14:11:06 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:

> You might put sex before food, but you wouldn't last long.

If we couldn't have sex when we were hungry the earth would still be the
province of cycanobacteria and their asexually reproducing buddies of the
early Proterozoic era.  From an evolutionary perspective, there's no good
reason to eat if hinders production of offspring.

Darwin proposed two basic evolutionary mechanisms: Natural selection aka
"survival of the fittest," and, sexual selection where features that attract
mates are preferentially selected until they reach the point where they
challenge the organisms viability, like the peacock's tail.  The peacock
eats less dragging the tail around, but it pulls chicks, sorry, hens.
Modern evolutionary theory considers the massive human brain might just be a
sexual ornament too, loaded as it is with "unproductive" power-draining
bloatware like the ability create and enjoy poetry.  The oversize brain is,
of course, useful in plain old natural selection (PONS) tasks at times.

We should find it hard, indeed stressful, to stop using our brains for their
primary design purpose: being interesting to others, especially members of
the opposite sex.

Therefore: the Internet!   :)

- Jim