[LINK] itNews: ' Amazon's botched backup causes cloud chaos'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Aug 17 08:03:50 AEST 2011

You have to laugh, or you'd cry.

The whole point of cloud computing was supposed to be "Rapid
elasticity (i.e. resources are scalable according to demand)".

But Amazon's explanation for their disaster was:
"We ran out of spare capacity before all of the volumes were able to
successfully re-mirror," Amazon explained.

The schemozzle began when the power failed.

Amazon's backup generators failed to kick in.

My interpretation of the fuzzy information provided is that foolishly
designed (and obviously untested) database replication routines went
mad trying to perform backups and recoveries at the same time, in all
directions at once.

That resulted in overload, and chaos.

[Some] customers were forced to wait up to three days for Amazon to
retrieve a snapshot [i.e. complete the recovery?]

Amazon's botched backup causes cloud chaos
Liam Tung
itNews
Aug 17, 2011 6:37 AM (1 hour ago)
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/267086,amazons-botched-backup-causes-cloud-chaos.aspx?eid=1&edate=20110817&utm_source=20110817_AM&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter