[LINK] The Next Web: MapChat: The location-based instant messaging app for strangers

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Aug 26 07:17:30 AEST 2011

Linkers

Roger will love this ;-)

Back in June, we ran a feature called Silicon Roundabout from a New York State of Mind, part of which constituted an interview with Rich Martell, the founder of Floxx Media Group, a company specializing in location-based social networking tools.

Martell was the guy behind FitFinder, a social networking website that was launched last year, causing a fair bit of controversy in the process. The site was ultimately forced offline by University College London (UCL), where he was a student at the time. In a nutshell, FitFinder gave students a platform to publicly (and anonymously) post messages about people they thought were "hot" in specific locations, such as in the UCL library.

Floxx Media Group is a spin-off of that endeavor, and it has secured investment from Doug Richard (formerly of Dragons' Den) and Silicon Valley money man Kevin Wall. Now, there's a series of apps on the way, and the first of these is out now.

MapChat is what the company calls "the first location based instant messaging client". That isn't strictly true, but as we'll see it does look like a pretty interesting concept.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/08/25/mapchat-the-location-based-instant-messaging-app-for-strangers/
Shared using News360 for the iPad. Learn more at http://news360.com

-----
Sent from my iPad