[LINK] Post haste: US parcel forwarding companies cash in on internet shopping bonanza

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:21:45 AEST 2011

I have used one of these services. They are quite costly. The example
they cite of iPad's being $100 cheaper in the US doesn't really hold
up to scrutiny if it costs $35USD+ to mail forward it, coupled with
the different power supply and warranty issues (although I gather
Apple is pretty good on these, with 110-240v power and global
warranty) and credit card fees for foreign amounts.
I've got no hesitation in buying online from abroad, but I don't think
these guys offer that good a deal. In the real world, an Ipad 2 16Gb
is $579AUD at the AU Apple store, or $499USD at the US store. But you
can get one for $555AUD at JB hi-fi, a three minute lift ride from
where I am sitting. If I was in the market for an iPad, I don't think
the risk of two trips in the post and the accompanying delay, extra
shipping fees, purchasing a wall plug adapter, the currency conversion
fees and the hassle of returns if anything goes wrong are worth a
potential small saving. Plus, of course, as the retailers never stop
telling us, they pay GST, so it benefits the Australian community to
buy it here.
All that said, there are plenty of retailers who gouge a bigger local
margin than Apple, and if these services foster some degree of better
price equivalency, I'm all for it.
For those item, better to find a retailer that ships international
directly, (I've had good luck finding them via ebay).
Regards,
Michael Skeggs