[LINK] NextG Wireless Stays Up As NBN Fibre Broadband Crashes

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Feb 4 11:16:07 AEDT 2011

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> It seems to me that the purpose of a trial deployment is to obtain
> information. In that sense, the Townsville experience will be a success:
> NBN Co will learn about the extent of damage a cyclone will cause to an
> overhead fibre.

I agree.

> The Smarthouse story, in my view, conflates TV broadcasting and NextG. I
> would imagine that the TV broadcasters were using the satellite dishes
> that you'll see on any and every outside broadcast van - not NextG.

The ABC seemed to be trialing something as they labelled
their crosses to Townsville (in the Queensland news bulletin
on ABC 24 and the 7.30 report), in the lead up to the
arrival of the cyclone, as "via broadband". It is worth
noting, that there were digital artefacts.

I was mystified by the labelling but the comments at the
Forum yesterday provided a context of what the ABC were
doing....however, it may also clarify that the it isn't
congestion in the last 10 metres that is the problem.

It seems there is also some tweeking to be done or premium
services to be configured/provided for Video. Though I am
not sure of the additonal value of the picture to the still
picture with voice - there was a window with tape on it and
trees blowing in the background  - though it reminded me of
that CNN scandal where the reporter only gave the impression
of being wherever they were reporting on.

Something I wondered about was whether there were any
Webcams in the area and how they fared.

Ofcourse in these disaster scenarios - Wireless appears to
be the most robust and quickest to restore.

Marghanita