[LINK] FW: NextG Wireless Stays Up As NBN Fibre Broadband Crashes

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Feb 7 14:52:21 AEDT 2011

At 10:13 AM 7/02/2011, Tom Worthington wrote:
>When the trees stopped waving, the picture was okay. The most
>plausible reason for this was that when the trees waved, the image
>compression algorithm had more data than it could cope with. The
>solution I suggested to the ABC was: don't point the camera at the window.

Tom W got this right. When you have low bandwidth video and lots of
movement, the compression algorithm has to work harder to fit to the
smaller pipe. That's one of the advisories we always gave to people
dressing for video conference classes. Wear solids not prints to
avoid pixilation.

If you watch streaming on the net now, I've seen that the process
just stops rather than deliver the pixilation artifacts. I'm
surprised the ABC didn't, but then again, the continuous image was
more important.

The terrible alternative, audio 'pixilation' is what we heard from
Grant Denyer on Ch 7. What this did was point out the importance of
favouring audio over video when there is possible contention. That's
most likely what ABC did.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com