[LINK] uh oh - phishing for pirates

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Feb 7 15:15:27 AEDT 2011

"File-sharing case hunter becomes the hunted
February 7, 2011 - 12:35PM

A controversial London-based law firm that sent
tens of thousands of letters demanding payment
from people it accused of illegal file sharing
has dramatically quit its copyright litigations,
claiming death threats are causing "immense
hassle" to the lead solicitor's family.

The founder and lead solicitor at ACS:Law, Andrew
Crossley, announced in a statement to the Patents
County Court in London that his firm would no
longer be chasing alleged copyright infringers.

"I have ceased my work. I have been subject to
criminal attack. My emails have been hacked. I
have had death threats and bomb threats," Mr
Crossley said in the statement read to the court
by barrister Tim Ludbrook, who is acting on
behalf of copyright licensee MediaCAT. "It has
caused immense hassle to me and my family."

ACS:Law is at the centre of a long-running row
over its method of so-called "speculative
invoicing", where thousands of generic letters
are sent to internet users it suspects of illicit file sharing.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority is currently
investigating its practices as hundreds of the
accused claim to have been wrongly identified.

In September last year, the personal details of
thousands of Britons were leaked online after a
crippling attack on ACS:Law's website. The
details, including telephone numbers and
addresses, surfaced online during a distributed
denial of service attack on the company's
servers. The British information commissioner is
investigating the data breach and could levy a
£500,000 ($797,000) fine if ACS:Law is found to
have held the information insecurely.

Mr Crossley's revelation came at the close of
last week's Patents County Court hearing into 27
people accused of illegally sharing copyrighted
pornography, of which MediaCAT is the exclusive licensee.

Of the thousands of letters ACS:Law has sent to
alleged infringers, these 27 cases are the only
ones to be heard before a judge. ACS:Law
attempted to drop the cases just days before its
first court hearing earlier this month but was
told it needed the court's permission.

Judge Colin Birss, QC, called the situation
"absolutely extraordinary" and said: "I am not
happy about this. I get the distinct impression
that at every twist and turn there is a desire to avoid judicial scrutiny."

The protracted hearings have been further
complicated by the recent emergence of a separate
law firm, known as GCB Ltd, issuing similar
payment demands on behalf of MediaCAT. ACS:Law
claims to have no connection with GCB Ltd, other
than the fact that two of its former employees
founded the newly established law firm.

Judge Birss said he had considered banning
ACS:Law's client MediaCAT from sending any more
payment demands until its claims and claimants
were clarified. "It would be an extraordinary
order to make," he added. "But these are extraordinary circumstances."

The patents court is expected to rule this month
on whether ACS:Law should be allowed to
discontinue the cases and whether the copyright
owner — understood to be Sheptonhurst, the owner
of Britain's biggest sex shop chain, Private —
has to join proceedings as a claimant."

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/filesharing-case-hunter-becomes-the-hunted-20110207-1ajb6.html

  http://snipurl.com/1ziwdr

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer