[LINK] NBN to cost 24 times South Korea's faster network, says research body

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Feb 10 12:03:29 AEDT 2011

Given its 30 year lifespan, I agree with most commentaries
that a simplistic cost benefit analysis is problematic.
However, it is worth noting, that the NBN is expected to
return 7% on the government's investment. After all, it is
some people's superannuation.

Good Governance of the Rollout both in terms of geography
and technology is crucial. I think there would be some
benefit in rolling out wireless, to provide coverage sooner
rather than later.

Richard, there is something you may be able to answer for
me, at what point is it proposed to aggregate the fibre traffic?

Marghanita
Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> <plug>
>
> Me on the EIU report:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/09/eiu_says_nbn_too_expensive/
>
>> The headlines say all you need to know, surely? As reported
>> <http://www.smh.com.au/national/36bn-price-for-nbn-slammed-20110209-1an2x.html> [1]
>> all
>> <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/taxpayers-lead-the-world-in-funding-labor-broadband-bill/story-fn59niix-1226003302845> [2]
>> over
>> <http://www.telecomasia.net/content/korea-has-best-approach-broadband-eiu> [3]
>> the place
>> <http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Australia-lagging-world-in-broadband-plans-index-pd20110209-DW4FF?OpenDocument&src=hp1> [4],
>> Australia's NBN has been rated as too expensive and relying too much
>> on government support, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit.
<snip>

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au