[LINK] did someone mention map reading?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Feb 10 12:46:54 AEDT 2011

Looking at road signs is three times more dangerous than talking on the phone while driving!  Who'd've thought?  So looking for all those speed signs on roads where the speed limit changes constantly is more dangerous than talking on a phone.  Especially if you're not a local and don't know the road.  Map reading while driving is similarly dangerous.

Why does fairfax never put in reference links?  They don't want you to leave their site?  I can't find any data on putting on makeup on the VT site, nor looking at road signs.

Pity the article doesn't seem to mention GPS map reading neither does the source.  Be nice to be able to compare that.

The most dangerous thing to do according to the virginia tech is read or write texts or emails while driving: 163 times more dangerous than driving undistracted.  Whew!

More here: http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2009/07/2009-571.html
http://www.vtti.vt.edu/whats-new.html#driving-distraction

On 2011/Feb/10, at 10:40 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/lippy-risk-greater-than-using-mobile-20110208-1alnj.html
>
> Oh, and lipstick.
>
> And the granularity of this next design is beyond the pale. "switch
> mobile calls to voice-mail automatically when turning a corner (in a car)"
> http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/signal-moment-for-drivers-as-software-sends-calls-to-voicemail-20110208-1alq3.html

As for delaying or diverting calls when the driver is turning a corner?  Seems like rubbish to me.  How does a car tell the difference between being stopped in bumper to bumper traffic when a call would be a welcome distraction(!) and waiting at the start of a roundabout for a break in the traffic - when a call would be a really bad idea?  GPS?

Why can't drivers just not answer the phone?  How hard is that?  Why do we have to have a technical solution?

Actually a speak SMS option might be good.  Also a convert speech to SMS - hmmmm...

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant