[LINK] Congestion (was Re: NBN to cost 24 times South Korea'sfaster network, says research body)

Jamie Sunderland Jamie.Sunderland at aarnet.edu.au
Fri Feb 11 11:38:01 AEDT 2011

Hi all,

>From my POV - Wireless has a technical limitation that can cause some
levels of congestion (related to collision domains, cell size and
available spectrum).

The fibre network proposed by NBN will have some business model
limitations that will cause some levels on congestion.

What most people overlook is that the NBN is not just a GPON network to
a CPOI.... in most cases it will actually be..

House<->GPON<->FAN<->NBN_Backhaul<->CPOI<->Carrier_backhaul<->ISP_PoP<->
Internet_Peering_links

Or in NBN speak
Premises<-AVC->FAN<-CVC->CPOI<-NNI->ISP.

AVC=Access virtual Circuit
CVC=Connectivity Virtual Circuit
NNI= Network to Network Interface

The CVC is a point of aggregation, and individual ISPs can decide (based
on their own business models) how much they want to over-subscribe the
CVC. Although pricing models are still being developed, for the first
release sites the wholesale cost of a 100/40 AVC is about $38/month,
however a 100Mbps CVC is about $2000 per month. Carriers without their
own fibre into the POI will also have to buy backhaul from a provider
such as Telstra, Optus, Nextgen or PIPE to get the traffic back to their
PoP. In many cases (depending on location) this will be at least as much
as the CVC again.

So for an ISP to sell a 100/40 service at less than about $60-$70/month
- they would have to over-subscribe the CVC and the backhaul at a rate
of around 200:1.  Some of the large carriers with their own backhaul
will have an advantage here (which is why they pushed for more POI
locations) - and some "budget" ISPs will massively oversubscribe their
CVC and backhaul components.

This is why there is going to be multiple traffic class options that
will attract some significant extra premiums.  Real business grade
services may still be of the order of 5-20 times the cost of a
residential service - depending on the traffic class and contention
ratios you are prepared to accept.

Just some food for thought.

Reference: NBN Product and pricing guide http://tinyurl.com/4oodv8g

Jamie