[LINK] Effective data rate

Steven Clark steven.clark at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 17 20:18:06 AEDT 2011

They could, but it is a highly inconsistent variable. The maximum average/sustainable transfer rate over existing copper-based ADSL infrastructure, for example, is highly dependent upon distance from exchange *and* the quality of the copper line along that distance. And that includes the pieces of wire slapped about inside the house. Until you actually use the line, you can't be sure what speeds you're going to get from it.

I currently pay for ADSL2+ connection with a possible ceiling downstream feed of 24Mb/sec. I regularly top out at 1Mb/sec. But my provider is very clear that they can only guarantee a maximum rate. An I choose to use the better of three inside lines (a clean, new line installed for that purpose). The older lines are much less reliable or 'fast'. :D

Few ISPs are in any position to control the quality of the connection from Node to the Home. Too many variables outside their control. And they have a hard enough time explaining G/month to most subscribers.

If there is an argument for FTTH from consumers perspective, it might be this: having consistent and reliable quality and 'quantity' of digital feed.

---
Steven R Clark
Sent from my outboard brain ...